Monday, April 21, 2008

Why write when you can chat

Quelipoth: hey
me: hello chickadee
Quelipoth: let me ask you an intereting question
me: you never ask me dull ones
Quelipoth: consodering that we have evidence showing Obama was losing until the moment he started attackign clinton
and that most of his campaign is based on mysoginistic attacks against her
me: yes
Quelipoth: is it ethical to hold Obama supporters, even those who have not theemselves personally attacked her with sexist slurs as being at least partially accomplices in the sexist attacks their candidate performed against her?
me: That's a tough one.
Quelipoth: considering that teh message their support conveys is that they do not care whether Obama wins by disenfranchising women?
me: They aren't responsible for his campaign, obviously, but it was his supporters doing the bullying at the caucuses
Quelipoth: well, they aren't responsible for his campaign, but their support of it can be regarded as an endorsement of its methods
me: and NO candidate can win by alienating women
that's absolutely true
Quelipoth: yes
me: and i have seen a few Obama supporters come out agianst the sexism, but not against the sexism Obama himself uses
Quelipoth: so, since we haven't seen a movement by obama supporters to ask his campaogn to stop teh sexist attack, does that make them all accomplices, even if it is just by turning a blind eye?
me: just the stuff that the media spews
I kinda feel that way. That's part of the reasson why i have lost some friends over this
Quelipoth: this is kinda why I have reached the conclusion that no progressive can support Obama while in possession of all facts and in good faith, and that some cognitive dissonance is involved
Sent at 2:37 PM on Monday
me: yes- though there are a shitload of "progressives" who think women are not fully equal. See Kucinich and his support for Ron Paul.
Quelipoth: i also think that Libertarian Democrat is the best description for obama
me: maybe
though I think he might be something else entirely
Quelipoth: the guy is not a progressive, and his weird belief that talking and free market will solve everything is a bit scary
me: that just makes him a classic liberal
Quelipoth: i think it makes him a post modernistic one
classic liberals were not afraid of wars when the need arose
me: nah- I think sexism falls firmly into the classic
Quelipoth: sexism is ever present. [frown]
me: But it doesn't have to be
Sent at 2:41 PM on Monday
Quelipoth: it does, because otherwise the bepenised beings migth have to earn their keep
me: I think the whole problem is people seeing Obama as a new type of candidate. he's not really. He's a very traditional liberal who just happens to be black
Hillary hasn't run on being above the political fray, she's run on her own merit
Sent at 2:44 PM on Monday
Quelipoth: which is where i have a problem
me: Oh me too
That's why the obamabots are scary. They are not looking at things rationally, but they are looking at him as a messianic figure. And there is a reason politics and religion shouldn't mix



No comments: