Monday, April 21, 2008

As you wish

So the Bulgarian and I both have a love of movies. Lots of movies, weird movies, funny movies, foreign movies. I took him to Scarecrow last week because 1)He had never been in the most awesome video store on the planet and because he was telling me that Serbian films are very good and Scarecrow has a giant (I mean giant) section of foreign films by country.

So he pulls out this Serbian film- No Man's Land. "It's very good movie" he said.
"Oh I know, I've seen it". I think he was impressed, though I watch A LOT of foreign films.

We ended up renting Almodovar's What Have I Done to Deserve This. He sure does like the frustrated wife kills husband plot. Though I think Volver was better.

Anyways, yesterday we were chatting about Eastern Promises. I mentioned that the naked fight scene was weird and hot. And how all I could think of through the whole thing was that he should be protecting his bits. The Bulgarian had the same thought.

At one point he typed "As you wish" to me. Being a good, goofy American girl, that line makes me think of only one thing. But he hasn't seen it. Shocking, really.

In addition to teaching him about ROUSes and who Inigo Montoya is, I want to make a list of classic American movies that I should recommend to him.

So peeps- what movies do you think I should put on that list. I already own Casablanca. I know some Hitchcock should be in there (Notorious being my favorite- it's got Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant and they got a long smooch past the censors by having them talk during the kiss). I don't think I need to recommend things like the Godfather or Rocky, they are popular enough on their own and I really can't sit through that much misogyny, again. Maybe the Magnificent Seven (Steve McQueen and Yule Brenner, hubba hubba) though I know it's a remake of The Seven Samurai.

Suggestions?

No comments: