Sunday, May 11, 2008

On Good Germans- Revisited

When you've got as many old blog posts as I do, you run the risk of repeating yourself, often. And I do that.

A long time ago I wrote a post to Jovial and Wonder about good Germans. Both are progressive Christians, you know the kind that actually follow Christ's teachings instead of using the bible as an excuse for greed and hate. The point of the post was that my disgust over the corruption of Christianity was not the fight they needed to have. The fight they needed to have was with those people who also called themselves Christians and then distorted the message so that ALL Christians get painted with the crazy paint.

And now I find myself in the position of the Good Germans.

My party has been taken over by a charismatic cult of personality.

And over and over again I am threatened, harassed, bullied, and extorted to put my support behind The One. For the sake of party unity, for the sake of the November elections, for the sake of the Supreme Court, for the sake of the war. I am being bullied into supporting someone who gives me more pause than even 100 years McCain. McCain is awful for sure, but he is not running as a transformative religious cult figure.

And I cannot be a Good German. I believe in my gut that Obama is more wrong for the democratic party and for our country as a whole than any candidate I can remember. He is the Reagan of the Democrats, and we all remember how truly awful the Reagan years were for anyone who wasn't white and male and American. Reagan is not a name anyone with real progressive philosophies would invoke in a positive light.

I understand those Dems who will hold their nose and vote for Obama for fear of the the supreme court or destruction of the party. But please understand, I cannot and will not be a good German on this. More than just the integrity of the party is at stake.

I cannot vote for someone who will use poor people, working people, brown people who aren't AAs, and women as scapegoats.

I cannot vote for a Demoratic party that has turned itself into the party of elite "liberal" thinkers.

I cannot vote for a Democratic party that is not inclusive of everyone.

And I will fight my own party tooth and nail to rescue it from the cultish turn it is taking. And if I cannot save my party then I will work my ass to find and create a viable alternative for all of us who have been shut out (again) from democracy.

If we don't fight it now, in the beginning when it is easiest, then the fight will get much more difficult later.

No comments: