Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I don't believe that's true"

You all have heard me talk about the knee patting boys who try to explain the complicated and difficult world of politics to me, a fricken poly sci major for the love of gawd!

It happened again the other day when a couple of (male) students and I were talking about the VP spot and the line of succession for the presidency. When I said that Speaker of the House comes after the VP one of them said "I don't believe that's true" and "How would you know so much about it?"

Fucker.

So this article strikes a real chord with me.

Older men, younger men, men who are my students, men who are my "friends", seem to think that they know more about my chosen major than they do. And we're not talking complicated theory here. We're not talking changing philosophies. We're talking basic governmental rules.

And then someone(a dear friend who will read this at some point) when I explained why I am not a liberal but a progressive, did the internet version of the head pat and stated that it's because I'm young and can't remember that liberal wasn't always a bad word. No, it's because I'm educated as to the proper definition and I am not a free trade monkey- hence progressive and not liberal.

I know what I am talking about. I promise the vagina does not make me stupid, naive, or uninformed on the topics that I speak about. I am also perfectly capable of researching and establishing my own well informed opinions. (Same thing happens with music, I shit you not, and I am only a former insufferable music snob. I don't have time to keep up with it lately)

So for future reference- woman does not automatically equal less informed than you.

No comments: