Thursday, March 20, 2008

I can has Exceptionalism

"But I'm not a typical girl"

"But Europeans are so much more open about sex"

"I don't like western religions because of all the crap, I'm a Buddhist"

"But you're not like, one of those FOB Mexicans."

"He's so articulate"

Yeah- I call bullshit on each and every one of those lines. I have to admit, I used to be the exceptional girl. All my friends were guys, I was praised for my common sense and cause I didn't act like the other silly girls. I took pride in the fact that the guys let me hang out with them and I have been known to say "I just don't like other girls, they're so catty".

And then I grew up and started using my brain.

Over at Reclusive Leftist someone said something about how we Americans as sooooo backwards about sex and why can't we just be like Europeans. Last time I checked the continent of Europe had not eradicated rape or sexual harassment. Hell, Swiss women were only guaranteed the right to vote in the early 90's, I think. German mothers who work outside the home are called "ravenmutters" or raven mothers and are looked down on. Yeah so shut up with the Europe is better than you crap. You've just got different problems.

And Buddhism as the be all end all of egalitarian religions- nope. It is only with this Dahli Lama that being born a woman is no longer considered a punishment for sins in a past life. Oh and the poor Tibetans may have been a little reluctant to fight the Chinese because the Buddhist monks had been raking their cash in like the Catholic church. (Not that China shouldn't get the fuck out of Tibet). And then there is the problem of Buddhist nuns, who are just house cleaners for the monks. Wouldn't want to fill their brains with divine inspiration if it might interfere with the nuns makin me a sammich.

Exceptionalism peeps, is the process of patting someone on the head for acting out of "stereotype". Watch out when someone says something that sounds like "but they are different from all the others" cause they probably aren't different at all. It's just a way to keep the people (or countries or religions, etc) from fighting back against the massive system of oppression we got pinning us to the floor everyday. If you are exceptional, then you can think the oppression isn't sticking a tack through your middle like an insect specimen.

But then you're just an idiot. The rest of us can see your thumbtack.

No comments: