Friday, December 14, 2007

This was going to be about Christmas.

This morning I was getting ready to compose a post about the whole "Merry Christmas Controversy", in which I was going to implore my fellow Christians not to participate in the uncharitable complaining which has cropped up in recent years in the face of well-meaning, or even purely commercial attempts to recognize the seasonal celebrations of our non-christian neighbors.

I was going to comment that this sort of harping seems to originate from voices whose agendas appear inconsistent, at least in this Christian's viewpoint, with the teachings, much less the example, of Jesus. Of course if you're a Christian who read this blog, I'm probably preaching to the choir.

I was going to explain that this "War on Christmas" nonsense makes us look like fools at best, and worse, that it encourages the kind of bigotry that led a group of young men, who probably consider themselves Christians, to attack group of young Jewish men and women on a subway for replying to their "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Hanukkah"

But I want to stop right there for a moment. I've got more to say on the Christmas thing, but something caught my attention, and I almost skipped right past it.

If you've been following the conversation on here the last week, you've noticed the phrase "human tribe" popping up a few times. You've seen that the recurring theme this week has been -- what motivates people to help others when it's not in their own direct self-interest?

You've read Red's heartfelt thank-you to someone who helped her out, depite their disagreements.

We've wondered out loud how to change society so that helping people in need is the norm.


Now let's go back to that subway.

Cause I wanna take notice of one of those people we're talking about. Those people, like the KBR employee with the cell phone, and Red's not-so-anonymous benefactor. A regular person, who didn't just stand by & do nothing.

His name is Hassan Askari. He's a 20-year old accounting student from Bangladesh, who says he's not a hero. He's a Muslim, but he wasn't thinking about the religious differences between himself and these strangers.

"I didn't have time to think about that," he said. "I was more thinking that these guys were going to get beaten up and I should do something."

According to Mr. Askari, his parents are proud of him.
They taught him to stand up for others.

Because it's the right thing to do.

No comments: