Monday, December 10, 2007

They really don't pay me enough

So student I have never met before comes into the lab on the second to last day of the quarter to finish a project. He asks for help on the computer. No problem, that's my job.

Then- problem.
"Can you show me how to multiply these numbers?"
I go over, take a look, happy to help until I see that he is trying to do a spreadsheet in a drawing program. "No, you can't multiply in a drawing program, here's the calculator".

Five minutes later...

"Uhm, is there a better calculator?"

"Why?"

"This won't do percents, there's no percent sign".

Dear gawd- I am here to teach computers. I am not here to teach eight grade math. But I do.

"A percent is a part of a whole. There is never a percent sign on a calculator. You can multiply it by .15 to get 15 percent and then add that to the original number or you can multiply it by 1.15 and skip the adding part".

No comments: