Thursday, March 30, 2006

frickin' asswipes

I've been hanging around with my cousin for the last week or so. She's in a wheelchair and rented a van with a ramp for her visit here to make it easier to get around. We were waiting in the drugstore parking lot for a handicapped space with the ramp area on the right side for at least 10 minutes this evening. The guy who was in the space (waiting for someone to come out of the store) made nice and was going to pull into the other handicapped spot so we could park. In the middle of playing Chinese firedrill with 2 large vehicles this asswipe cuts off the other guy and steals his space.

I can't abide this kind of behavior. I tell people off when they cut in line. I pick on people who use handicapped placards for rock-star parking when they don't need it (which is what the asswipe who stole the space did). I've told off a soccer mom in a yuppy grocery store parking lot for stealing spaces by telling her "It's really good that you're teaching your kids they don't have to wait their turn if it's inconvenient".

So I told the guy that off that took the space. And he said something about how I should "be afraid of him cause he's a black man" and that "we all can't be privileged". What. The. Fuck?

1. I've lived in the CD for years. My kid and I are the only white people in our building and I love all my neighbors. Not just "some of my best friends are black" but we loan each other bus money and sugar and look after each other. We cry on each others shoulders when shit hits the fan and share beers when it's all good. The kid is one of only 2 white kids in his afterschool program. His best friend there is a black girl. So me, afraid of a black man cause he's dark is the funniest thing ever.

2. Exactly when did being paralyzed from the waist down and getting to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair become a privilege? When did it become a privilege to know that in a parking lot of 50 spaces there is only one you can use and some scam artist is taking it because he's to lazy to walk an extra 10 feet?

The asswipe said I was disrespecting my son because I told this fuckwad that he was "a bastard whose mama should have taught him some manners". What I am teaching my son is that you wait your turn because living by society's rules is not always convenient and that when someone else breaks those rules you tell them to fuck off. That's not disrespect, that's what you do when you have the strength to stand up when someone else can't. Someone like a girl in a wheelchair who is just trying to get in the drugstore.

1 comment:

Wonder said...

HEY, girl, thanks for standing up for my sis!!