Thursday, January 08, 2009

The moment where i join the lunatic fringe

I have pretty much decided that I am going to home school (well mostly unschool except for math) the kid for the next two years. His middle school experience has turned a kid with an IQ that makes school boards salivate into a depressed little monkey who hates school with a fiery passion. Once he's a high school junior he can start taking classes for free at community colleges here that apply towards graduation credit.

The Kid has some motor skills issues (hypotonicity- it's like his nerve endings don't get the same amount of electrical current that they should so he gets worn out physically pretty fast) and surprise! He has my families tendency towards depression. So I have had an Individual Education Plan (IEP) with his school since he was in 2nd grade to try and address these issues. It's like a legal contract saying that the school will provide specific services to help the kid achieve as much as he's capable of.

This worked very well in elementary school. But it has bombed in middle school because they spend more time trying to get out of doing anything helpful and blaming me for it.

So our next little IEP meeting is set for early February. And since I no longer feel the need to be even the tiniest little bit diplomatic because the Kid can't get hurt by a school system he's no longer a part of, I am going to bring the smackdown. I think this meeting is going to turn out to be a long bitch fest about the school's classist and racist tendencies. I think i am finally going to get the chance to confront them about their institutional problems. It won't do a damn bit of good for the kid, but I think it might help some of the kids behind him.

No comments: