Saturday, April 19, 2008

Movie reviews

I mostly hate kids movies. Sure- I love Miyazaki and the Harry Potter movies, but mostly I think kids movies are dumbed down techno-colored crap. Disney movies mostly make me nauseous. And the Kid has a love for Scooby Doo that knows no bounds. Really, when I was 10 the Scooby Doo plots were cool but now I kinda want to stab my eyes out with a pencil rather than watch Scooby and Shaggy run away from fake ghosts and monsters.

So the Kid begged me to rent The Last Mimsy so we could watch it together. This morning instead of watching cartoons, we made up some cinnamon rolls and ate them curled up on my bed while watching Mimsy in all it's alien cuteness.

It was......not bad. Sure there were some totally crap moments where suspension of disbelief was impossible. Strangely, the magical mystery bits were believable. It was the real life stuff regarding Homeland Security that I couldn't buy.

So if you want to watch a movie with your kid that won't make you wish for a heroin overdose- I think The Last Mimzy could work.

But now that the kid is happily off to his own room, I'm gonna go be all grown up and watch Eastern Promises.

No comments: