Thursday, April 17, 2008

Fun with thought experiments

I'm with Liss. All I want to do right now is read things that make me happy, like I can has cheezeburger or trashy gossip on Jezebel. Or buy shoes, but I am sooo broke. If I don't take a break from political misogyny watch for a bit, I'm gonna explode.

But...........

I can never really take a total break. So I thought I'd try something a little more hopeful. I've been thinking about movie or tv plots or commercials I would like to see, instead of the standard sexist drivel that is trotted out as genius (Apatow- I'm talking to you). So here's my list so far, please feel free to add to it.

A movie where a middle aged guy falls for a middle aged woman and it is considered normal instead of empowering for older women everywhere.

A movie or tv show where a poor guy marries a rich woman and they live happily ever after. Usually happily ever after happens only when the woman is poor. When she is rich, the guy inevitably becomes bitter after years of being controlled by his shrewish wife and has an affair with a.... poor woman.

A female heroine (or villain) in an action movie who isn't tarted up in patent leather fetish clothes. Seriously- you cannot run, let alone fight in five inch heels. You will break your ankles.

A movie or tv show about 30 something women that does not include any laments about how there are no good guys left, that they are all married or gay. Actually, what I'd really like to see is the single, 30 something woman who is the commitaphobe because it's closer to my reality. But instead of her growing up and settling down in the end, I want her big realization to be that she is just fine on her own.

Any show about a single mom that doesn't cast her as either a completely self-sacrificing saint or a total abusive nut case. We're all a little bit of both.

A commercial where men clean toilets. Or ovens. Or talk about how fresh they like their produce to be at the grocery store or they want their laundry to smell like a summer breeze.

A beer commercial where woman drink beer cause they like it, not because they are the magic prize the guys get for opening up a tall cold one.

And I would really like to see an end to the anorexic lollipop look. Do you remember when Lucy Lawless was Zena. She was all muscle and hotness. Now she looks like Lindsey Lohan's aunt. Women who are naturally that thin don't look like bobble head dolls (Think Natalie Portman or Kiera Knightly).

No comments: