Thursday, March 13, 2008

Remember what I said about prostitution

From Pandagon:

In contrast, Sweden experimented in 1999 with a radically different approach that many now regard as much more successful: it decriminalized the sale of sex but made it a crime to buy sex. In effect, the policy was to arrest customers, but not the prostitutes.

Some Swedish prostitutes have complained that the policy reduced demand and thus lowered prices, while forcing sex work underground. But the evidence is strong that the new approach reduced trafficking in Sweden, and opinion polls show that Swedes regard the experiment as a considerable success. And the bottom line is that if you want to rape a 13-year-old girl imported from Eastern Europe, you’ll have a much easier time in Amsterdam than in Stockholm.

Emphasis mine.

I love it when I'm right. I mean I'm right fairly often, but when there is evidence to back me up, I'm very happy. You should know that a lot of the time- I'm just pulling shit out of my ass when I rant here. It's not uninformed shit, but it is just off the top of my head most days.



No comments: