Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Shameless Art Whoring

I just took some photos of my paintings to email to a friend and since i can't actually paint at the moment (paint is expensive and I am out of the important colors- like black and white and red, if I painted in nothing but green and lavender I'd be golden)I figured I'd just put up some of my work for y'all to admire.
Red Mary


Red Mary is from a sketch I did for an art class final. We had one hour to run around SAM and do a drawing of anything in the museum. I chose a 16th century wood Italian wood carving of the Virgin Mary that was hung from the ceiling. The statue had you typical passive renaissance Mary face though, and I wanted my Mary to look more like an avenging angel. So when I turned the sketch into a painting- Mary got a makeover.

Swan Mary

This is another painting done from a statue of the Virgin Mary (I was on a theme at the time). The statue's neck wasn't quite this contorted and she was much more peaceful looking. I exaggerated the neck and I wanted her to still look a little like she is struggling to be peaceful behind her closed eyelids. I don't know if I pulled it off exactly.


Head in pencil

This is actually a portrait of my mother, but she hated it. That alone makes it worth keeping. Ha!
Another head- in chalk and conte crayon

This is my sad clown attempt at Picasso style, but I still like him.

No magic words

I did a couple of pieces after the November elections that look like large comics. This one says "I keep trying to come up with some fab political statement to fill this space but there is no magic word to fix the world's problems. Fuck it all."

I did another comic (that I can't take pics of because it is hung awkwardly in a stairwell) to welcome back all those folks who swung their votes to the left in November. Let's just say I am not as forgiving of their past misdeeds (Hello Roberts court) as I might be.

1 comment:

un monton de palabras said...

looooove your paintings congratulations!