Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Why I'm a feminist- and you should be too

There is this misconception about feminists that we think all men are rapists or we don't like men or sex or we're all non-shaving, anti-lipstick ugly girls who are just jealous of the pretty girls.

You all know me- I am more boy crazy than just about any girl (and most gay boys) than you'll ever meet. I'm also super-girly with a love of french perfume, high heels and red red lipstick. Though I have been accused of being a misandrist (opposite of misogynist for the vocab challenged) it is more that I recognize the benefits that white boys get and I refuse to respect them more for being born lucky.

But why I am a feminist is best summed up in this post by Blood on My Teeth

And that is why I’m a feminist. Not because I want to form some kind of gynocentric
enclave or forcibly castrate men
in retaliation for my lack of phallic power
(stupid Freud), but because I believe women. I believe women because
98% of the time we are not lying. And I know that the only thing that
separates me from a rape victim or battered wife is dumb fucking luck

I believe women too. Go read the whole post. Consider it required reading.

2 comments:

The Red Queen said...

Fine- go google Caitlin Flanagan. She is one of those scary "if you don't stay home with your kids and fuck your husband on demand then you are a failure as a person" women. And more of them seem to be getting book deals every day. Funny thing though- you're not really a full time mom if you're out on a book tour and doing interviews on the Colbert Report.

The Red Queen said...

You either missed the point or are attempting something snarky. Either way- try reading this (no really read it. Please don't try to be cute with the arguments- you aren't pulling it off well.)

http://www.wimnonline.org/WIMNsVoicesBlog/?p=95