Monday, March 07, 2011

A happy little side effect of the state's budget slashing

i took my rx's on a long walk to the big chain drugstore to be filled.
several of my prescriptions are for chronic nerve pain and that walk
wasn't easy, but i steeled myself for it with thoughts of happy
medication and a promise to the kid of yummy food after. but, big
chain drugstore no longer takes poor people medicaid. i spent 20 bucks
on iron and vitamin d instead, since i had no idea how long it would
be before i found a pharmacy that doesn't hate poor people and
dejectedly walked to the grocery store. then i saw it, the tiniest
little mom and pop russian pharmacy. they take medicaid. they got
mediccaid to pay for my iron and vitamin d evven. the pharmacist was
awesome and spent a long time with me while i geek out about how the
drugs work chemically. he told me to take vitamin d with 'a good
dinner, lots of fat, no diet food'. i am more than happy to switch my
business to the mom and pop place from giant megachain that has pissed
me off for years and support a great small business.

--
The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all of your time.
Willem de Kooning

No comments: