Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It's two separate issues

There seems to be some misconception that pro-Hillary means anti-Obama by default.

They are two separate issues. If I was JUST pro Hillary, I would do what I do every time my preferred candidate loses a primary election (see Jerry Brown, John Edwards, etc) and vote for the Dem in the GE, even if they weren't my first choice.

But this is beyond all that. This has become a fight for what the meaning of the Democratic party is. Are we the party of inclusiveness, of voting rights, of level playing fields and equal opportunity.

Or are we the party of snobbery. of vote hijacking, of back room deals and hate of those who are less (women, the poor).

I believe that Hillary represents the best of the Democratic party. She is inclusive. She is Roosevelt. She is the promise of better days ahead for everyone.

I believe that Obama will do more than just ignore people like me. I believe that faction of the Democratic party will work to silence the one way that I have any kind of political power - my vote. My state already has the problem of an undemocratic caucus that gets all the delegates and a democratic primary that gets none. I don't want to see that kind of problem spread. I don't want to see other states disenfranchised like Florida and Michigan. I don't want our only protection from political forces to be silenced.

And that is why I will not vote Dem. if Obama is the nominee. Not because of the way my candidate has been treated, but because it means that the party has become something that I can no longer support.

Two different issues.



No comments: