Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RQ Cooks- Dijon Pork Roast

So you know how food prices are skyrocketing because of gas prices? You know about those midwestern floods that have demolished huge swaths of farmland. You know that the combo of those two things is going to make trips to the grocery store a luxury for many of us?

I am probably going to have to start pulling out cheaper and cheaper recipes. Dear gawd please spare me from a steady diet of ramen noodles. I don't like them.

The other day I found a giant (5 lbs) pork roast with just a wee bone in it for 10 bucks. It's enough meat for 3 or 4 meals.

I was trying to figure out how to season it and first made a lemony marinade. But we were out of honey to thicken it up. So I used molasses and some other seasonings. Before I wasted 10 pounds of meat, I took a good sniff of the marinade. It was bad. Really really bad. Like I couldn't believe a combination of things that were not spoiled or rancid could smell that bad. So I dumped it down the drain and went simple.

I salted and peppered the roast generously. Then I scraped out the remains of a jar of dijon mustard, mixed it with a generous helping of minced garlic, and gave the roast a meat massage with it. I threw it in the crock pot on low overnight and today we have a mountain of the most tender, delicious pork ever. It literally melts in your mouth.

I've decided to make lemony roasted potatoes to cure the citrus craving I'm having. I think I'm going to do a modified Lebanese style potato, with lemon juice, olive oil, and lots of parsley. If you have never smelled the awesome that is lemon parsley and olive oil, they you are truly missing one of the best scent combos ever.

And maybe glazed carrots using the molasses. Or not. Maybe just a shredded carrot salad with some raspberry vinegar for kick.

No comments: