Sunday, May 28, 2006

How do you afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?

Taken after many drinks while standing on a table- I am not that tall really!


By being friends with the band- of course!

I went to fantastic show at the Funhouse last night to see my dear friend, Ruthzilla, and her band ScaryBear play. I am not a huge prog rock fan (it just doesn't mix with the indy-pop Queen status) but last night might have converted me.

ScaryBear is a tight "frantic instrumental techno thrash" joy to see. They rock the genre like no bodies business without a lot of the cock swagger generally associated with anything that loud. But that wasn't all the joy I got last night.

Next up was Black Elk- a band from Portland with a lead singer who is a weird cross between Mick Jagger and Iggy Pop if they both were screaming in terror. We were right up by the stage getting pushed by a few hapless moshers. The last time I had been in a mosh pit I was pregnant with the Kid, but I remembered how to use my elbows pretty quick and the bouncer chilled the guys out pretty fast. But the band kicked ass. This is where I get converted to loud, angry Noise Rock.

After their set, Ruth was saying hello to the bassist for Black Elk and introduced me by saying "This is Elizabeth. You guys were so good she even liked you, and she likes Franz Ferdinand!" Turns out that this scrappy bass player also like Franz. I told him how at the last Franz Ferdinand concert the band dedicated a song to "the 2 girls dancing in the balcony" and I was one of those girls. The bass player promised a shout out to me next time. My four and half minutes of rock and roll fame have now been extended by a whole 15 seconds. Whoo hoo!

Also playing were Blood Hag. They throw science fiction books at the crowd which is cool. But by then I could barely hear them because I'd been standing right by the amp during Black Elk and not wearing ear plugs. Everything still sounds muffled today.

The final act was Captured By Robots- one guy and a bunch of robots he built to play music. It was all cover songs last night and that was cute and kitschy for the first 3 songs, but by the time he broke out with Journey's Don't Stop Believing, I had enough.

I had meant to take some pictures of Scarybear, but drunkenness interfered. Instead you all get blurry drunken pictures of crowds, robots, and Ruthzilla with what looks like a giant light-filled tumor coming out of her nose. Enjoy!



It's not just me that is drunk and blurry- The Robots drink PBR!


Ruthzilla, bass player for ScaryBear, looking possessed by the light-filled tumor attached to her head

2 comments:

Peter said...

You should send a few of the shots to ghost hunters. I think you were at a haunted punk rock show.

The Red Queen said...

It's prog rock I'm told. Amazing how picky people are about genres. But the truth is my camera does a suck ass job in low light with no tripod(especially when the user is drunk and her hands are very unsteady)