Sunday, March 14, 2010

Watching SNL and being nostalgic

Well, not really, it's on in the background. But I am remembering just how fucking hot Eddie Vedder is. Damn. I may be officially old (well not for another few days, then I am officially old) but Eddie Vedder still makes me squee.



ETA: I knew there was an unplugged video where Vedder writes PROCHOICE on his arm in sharpie during the middle of the song. It just took me a minute to find it.

Pearl Jam, more than any other band of the era, was what got me through the worst part of my childhood, the year my mom went into the mental hospital and I went to live with foster parents. I borrowed Ten from a cute boy (on tape even). Before that, the only music I knew that wasn't bubble gum crap that had no relation to my actual life was "alternative" music from the 80's (my first ever concert was the Cure, for example). Listening to Pearl Jam was like that super satisfying moment where a scab falls off and you can see the new pink scar underneath. Vedder wrote about bullying and horrid parents and not exactly believing in god. The songs hold up well 20 years later (while I pretty much can't listen to anything the Cure did after Boys Don't Cry and Depeche Mode, well we won't go there).

BTW, I loved Just Breathe, the song I just watched them performed on SNL.

No comments: