Monday, March 17, 2008

Independent Media

I'm lucky enough to have satellite TV, so I get a LOT of news stations:

I get at least 3 versions of the Major News Networks: CNN, FOX, NBC

I have NO LOCAL NEWS STATION. 
I get my news from Tampa. 
Tampa is 81.miles.away.

But I do get Free Speech TV, and LinkTV  These are both independent, viewer-supported media outlets.  i.e. supported by individual contributions, not commercial sponsors. 

The programming on these stations is alarming, angering, depressing, hopeful, and utterly fascinating.  I don't tune in nearly often enough, but every time I do, I find myself glued to the screen.  Their content is verbose, fact-dense, and I will not pretend their programming is neutral.  It is heavily anti-Bush, anti-corporate, anti-war, and gives you the facts to back it up.  If you recognize names such as Greg Palast, Amy Goodman, Nooam Chomsky, or Naomi Klein, you will find them on these channels.

They are carried on some local cable networks and you can watch some of their programming online.

Both Channels carry Democracy Now!  which you can also view on the internet.

I strongly recommend.  If you like what you see, and you have the funds available, please support them.  I wish I could send them money, but instead I'll just send you this promotion, 'cause I think they're worthwhile.

No comments: