Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Assinine Treatment of Poor People, Not Just for Red States!

I've spent the last hour on hold with DSHS. I did the same thing last week. Apparently it's time for my review! Of course, since I moved 2 months ago I had sent in all the review information already (twice, since I didn't get confirmation after sending it in the first time) but I still needed to be reviewed, again.

But I have a crappy mail carrier and never received the review request. I received the notice that I had failed to turn in my review. So I sent in (another) round of review information. And called to make sure everything was kosher. Had a phone interview. Sent in proof of income. Did everything, again, that I was supposed to.

And since it's been a week and I haven't heard anything, I called to make sure we're still getting food stamps on the 8th (otherwise we are FUCKED). First round of phone calls, get hung up on by automated system. Second round of phone calls, get condescended to by call center asshole who doesn't know jack about what she's talking about but does know how to be extra shitty. Finally, get passed on to a supervising case worker who tells me my paperwork has been lost in the ether. She's nice, at least, but we aren't getting food stamps on Friday. She doesn't know when we'll get them. "Sometime, maybe. In the mean time, try a food bank. You've done everything you're supposed to do."

I'm going to go curl up in a ball and sob for a bit.

No comments: