Tuesday, September 01, 2009

You don't just tell them to wait!

Telling kids to wait to have sex, without explaining they whys or hows, is like telling a kid not to cross a street. Sure, we grown ups know that you have to look both ways for cars, etc. But kids don't.

So I am immensely pissed about Obama's abstinence commercials. You don't have to tell me about the icky parts- just tell me to wait.

Nope. Not going to work. Abstinence is a pipe dream. It doesn't work and the myth of perpetual virginity until marriage has never existed. Not a 100 years ago, not in the glorious Leave it to Beaver 50s, and not now.

So I am super grateful when I get to read this bit of awesomeness from Ouyang Dan about sex ed and kids.

(and for your juicy piece of gossip for the day- I am in her piece somewhere. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what line is about me)

No comments: