Monday, March 10, 2008

RQ bitchez about music sellouts even though she knows she shouldn't

I was mortified awhile back to hear a bastardized version of an Of Montreal song as the new Outback Steakhouse jingle. I don't have a problem with artists letting their music be used in commercials per se because well, I like downloading free music and musicians need to pay the bill somehow. Better to make scary corporations pay than make both artists and music buyers subject to the evils of the price fixing RIAA.



But................

Changing a song, or writing a straight up cheesy jingle makes my ears hurt. Even though it shouldn't. I know it shouldn't. But it hurts me (and not just because I've been trying to wear earrings in my tender little earlobes for the last 24 hours)

So I keep seeing this ad for gum.



And the voice, the musical phrasing, the piano- it can't be Stephin Merrit of the Magnetic Fields? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Not my favorite go to angry gay for break up songs (I don't believe you being one of my favorites).

So kids, how do you feel about hearing your favorite bands music in commercials? Does it make you sad? Does it make you dislike the band for being sell-outs? Does it make you maybe a wee bit smug cause you recognize a song or singer that no one else would? (I have to admit to having that feeling on a few occasions, like when the awesomely beautiful Adrien Brody did a Diet Coke commercial to the Lyrics Born song Callin' Out)

No comments: