Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Procrastination

I have a writing deadline for a piece I am working on about how to raise feminist boys. As usual, when any deadline hangs over me, I am procrastinating.

Instead I am reading about philosophy. See, I am a structuralist, not because I think it is the best way of doing things (quite the contrary) but because I see that it is how we have arranged society. The problem I have always had with structuralism is that it is great for explaining, but not for solving, societies problems. And I am a girl who likes solutions.

So I spend a lot of time making fun of the little postmodern hipsters. Buttttttttttttt, there is a point to it. Postmodernism allows for individual complexity in a way that shrugs of capitalism en mass in favor of a more manageable, smaller, individualized way of producing with larger, more expansive ways of interacting. See Etsy.com as the best example of it that I can think of. Thousands of individuals making pieces of their choosing arranged into one large sphere for trading goods. This is directly contrasted to our modernist way of having one huge producer or generic goods for all (see Walmart).

So that's what I'm doing. Any of you peeps out there with your brains drifting into philosophy?

No comments: