Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Human Tribe and some other stuff

Wonder and I had a giggly, manic phone conversation till the wee hours last night. Some highlights include:

The use of the southern y'all versus you guys. I don't like y'all, but I like the gender specific you guys even less. I have decided to use "you peeps" instead. It is gender neutral and has the added bonus conjuring up images of fluffy marshmallow chicks.

Our family has a very distinct way of speaking. I wasn't raised around my cousins and it wasn't until a few years ago that I started seeing them on what could be considered a regular basis. When I took my first 2 week long Christmas vacation to the family compound, I was weirded out by all these women who have the same squeaky voice as me, who use the same inflections as me, the same weird phrases as me. We say "I suppose" and "exxXactly" way too much.

Wonder and I were also talking about how people everywhere are racist. I think it's the tribal thing- we all want to categorize who belongs and who doesn't.

So from that thought- this morning I decided that if we really want to end global warming - we need to dress it up as a two headed alien with acid green skin. That way we can look at all the other humans and say "We are way more like each other than we are like the green monster" and get over ourselves.

No comments: