Thursday, June 29, 2006

Hooptie of the Week: A Classic and a Goodie



Some of you may not know this but RQ and I used to work toghether in temp-job hell. While we there, we (well mostly me) would play a little game called "Hooptie of the Week" For those who need a refresher, a hooptie is a car that most don't have the pride to park in front of their house, let alone sport for even occasional use. Of course, one word can have many meanings so I refer you to the Urban Dictionary for their use of the word, hooptie.

Now that you know you feel free to nominate any hoopties you may find on the internet. For the most part the cars I will present are those that were hoopties before they left the assembly line. In that light I present the king of all Hoopties: The Lincoln Versailles. (yes, there is a website devoted to this monster).

No shame was spared in creating this beauty. The vinyl half-roof effect, the unneeded hump for the spare tire, plastic fake wired wheels and the unabashed look of the Ford Granada. This is what American car manufacturing is all about!

5 comments:

The Red Queen said...

How could I forget hooptie of the week. That car is fly- almost as fly as the purple cadillac that roles my street pumping gangsta rap.

Oh and I love love love the white tennis playing couple in the background. You know they are jjust waiting to get their hooptie on!

DeeK said...

I know its a classic. My only worry is that so few cars come out as hoopties these days, though GM is still doing a great job. I just can't believe there is a web site devoted to the Versailles. Not only that, it is not even tongue in cheek; these people are serious about this pimpster classic

DeeK said...

Great, another typo: should be it's a classic, not its a classic

Peter said...

A friend of mine had a name:

Ghetto Sled

For big, 20 year old Crown Vics and such. But really, any beat-up car you buy from your friend for a hundred bucks can be a ghetto sled.

DeeK said...

yeah, but how many ghetto sleds were ghetto sleds (that some people used as pimpmobiles) before they even hit the showroom floor? This has to be at the top of the list. Yeah, there was the Plymouth Volare, the Chrysler Cordoba (with Corinthian Leather) and the Cadillac Cimmaron (what does this say about me, my knowledge of bad 80s American rides), but few have the audacity of the Versailles. Having said all that Ford actually made a profit off this beast (Gawd I know too much about this shit!). Goes to knowing your audience. Here's to the Michelob of American Iron.