Monday, April 10, 2006

Monday Reads

I've always had a thing for the thinning-haired political-economist types (see Jonh Rawls, John and James Galbraith, and Mephistopheles) but Greg Palast could cause me to become a groupie (you say stalker- I say groupie).

So check out what he has to say about the Bush Leaks
Here's how the law works (and hopefully, it will). The Bush gang's use of the telephone in this con game constituted wire fraud. Furthermore, while presidents may leak ("declassify") intelligence information, they may not obstruct justice; that is, send a grand jury on a wild goose chase. Under the 'RICO' statute (named after the Edward G. Robinson movie mobster, 'Little Rico'), the combination of these crimes makes the Bush executive branch a "racketeering enterprise."


Next, I realize that I am one of the few girls writing on a blog full o'boys who seem to clam up like I'm giving out Too Much Information whenever the topic of abortion comes up. However, I'm giving you all another shot to put your two cents in after you read this horrifying article from the NY Times magazine about what a Pro-Life (forced pregnancy) Nation looks likes in El Salvador. And if you don't think it can't happen here, this is what our own domestic wingnuts say in the article:
The legislative battle and its outcome did not escape the attention of leaders of anti-abortion groups in the United States. Rev. Thomas J. Euteneuer, the head of Human Life International, based in Virginia, is intimately familiar with the campaign in El Salvador and says that there are lessons for Americans to learn from it. For one thing, as Euteneuer sees it, the Salvadoran experience shows that all moves to expand abortion rights are pushed through by "elite" institutions of government (the U.S. Supreme Court, for example); by contrast, Euteneuer contends, when the laws are tightened, a grass-roots campaign is inevitably responsible. "El Salvador is an inspiration," he told me recently, an important victory in what he called "the counterrevolution of conscience."
Forgive any spelling errors as I am at work and firefox hates me too much to let me check spelling.

Happy Monday

4 comments:

DeeK said...

I agree very saddening and scary.

I want to say this with drawing attention to myself, but this is one of the reasons winning elections, getting over our (the left) principle-over-all-politics attitude is so important. We have to win and interject ourselves into the system we have, not the one we want.

I have to finish reading the entire piece. An article that is long and sad is difficult for this old man.

DeeK said...

The story has shades of how many in Islam treat their women. Pregnancy becomes the fault and burden of the woman, who is left with few or no options. Its parallel is how women who are raped in some countries (even in France's Muslim community) are blamed and shame is heaped upon them and their families.

While the extreme right-wingers in the U. S. will not openly say they want the same here, I am most certain they speak of treating women like this in private!

The Red Queen said...

Not letting "facts get in the way of a good" fucking "story"?

Oh no you didn't.

Wonder said...

REDD:

" lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story..( insert sarcasm here) "

My dear, what DO you mean?