Saturday, October 29, 2011

Totally Appropriate Conversations With Children

So I am hanging up this way rad poster the T.O.E. sent me in the bathroom, while Kid is washing out a trash can that got rank in the bathtub. The poster is a French Feminist poster of a line drawing on the monds pubis and in French it reads (I think) "The Place of Pleasure".

Me: Is it going to totally mortify you if I hang up this poster in the bathroom?

Kid: No

Me: It's a drawing of naughty bits- that's not going to embarrass you?

Kid: (makes familiar teenage groan of annoyance) You raised me. Do you really think that I would be mortified by that?

Me: True. I raised you. But you are at that age where the mere existence of parents is embarrassing and you live in the house too. You get to have a say in what goes in it.

Kid: That's a good philosophy. I like that everyone who lives in a place gets a say in it.

Me: You know, there are people who think kids should not be allowed to have opinions at all. That whole "Children should be seen and not heard" shit.

And that is how it rolls in Casa de Elizabitchez. Also T.O.E should explain the significance of the poster because it's rad.

No comments: