Wednesday, August 11, 2010

this vote's for sale

there's a large amount of handwringing going on right now about what
are all us disillusioned types gonna do come november. we could stay
home, but not voting doesn't make a damn bit of difference in a system
that only measures votes received and not all possible voters. we can
make protest votes (which appeals to me on a deeply comedic level). we
can vote 3rd party, if there's an actual 3rd party on the ballot.
but none of these things will give me what i want or need from my
government. actually, it doesn't matter which end of the donkeyphant
gets power, i'm fucked either way. so my vote is for sale. shit,
politicians are for sale, legislation is for sale, war is for sale. so
why is it a big deal that i want my vote to be just as 'free' market
as our political system is?
will selling votes change our fucked up system? not anymore than the
rotation of elites that we currently use. but at least i'd get some
benefit from it. in honor of the late, great chasito, starting bids
for my vote is 5$ and a bus pass

--
The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all of your time.
Willem de Kooning

No comments: