Thursday, June 10, 2010

in case you were worried- RQ cooks lemon rice

I've been eating everyday. Ruthie mentioned in an email that it might work better if I concentrated on feeling less burdensome than on the eating thing. And she's right. I've eaten for like 5 days now because I cooked every one of the meals. If I do the work of cooking, I feel less bad about eating. I feel useful.

Tonight I made lemon rice with garlic shrimp. We'd had a shrimp ring in the freezer for ages and for less than 5 bucks we got the stuff to make everything. I also threw together a pineapple upside down cake (from a box, in a rectangular pan! It was weird. Pineapple upside cake doesn't come in a box and it gets cooked in a cast iron skillet! But it was still good). The shrimp was supposed to be my uncle's treat for their wedding anniversary, but he shared. And who knows how much longer we'll be able to eat shrimp.

Who knew the whole Lizzie is a kick ass cook thing was an anti-ED tactic?

So lemon rice. It's cheap. It's easy. It's actually Ruthie's recipe.

Make a bunch of plain rice, white or brown, doesn't matter.

In a large skillet saute a diced onion or two and a mess of chopped garlic in either olive oil or butter till onions are a wee bit brown. DON'T BURN THE GARLIC!!!!
Chop a bunch of either parsley (flat or curly) or cilantro or baby spinach. Add onions and chopped greens to warm rice. Drizzle with olive oil. Add lemon juice (and zest of you've got it) to taste. Add salt and pepper. Toss, taste, add lemon or salt as needed.

For such a seriously simple side dish, this makes everyone go YUMMO.

(The shrimp was just sauted in a shit ton of brown butter and garlic with a wee bit of salt and tossed with dried cilantro at the end. it took 5 minutes.)

No comments: