Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dear NARAL, a break up letter

I received this morning's email regarding your endorsement of Obama for president. All I can say is "et tu, NARAL?" Did ya drink the koolaid?

Since when has "some control over their own bodies" meant bodily autonomy. I already have "some" control over my own body. I choose what to eat and when to sleep and thankfully who I get to fuck. But NARAL, I counted on your political action to work towards getting me full bodily autonomy.

And now you've gone and endorsed a candidate who not only wouldn't know reproductive rights from a hole in the ground (No, seriously- he had to be reminded by an aid that voting to confirm Roberts wouldn't be good news for any of his female supporters because he just doesn't think about things that don't involve his penis) but he also thinks misogyny, race baiting and classism are viable campaign tactics. being that you are a POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE I would takes this to mean you think his political actions are just and good.

And for an organization whose stated goal's include electing pro choice candidates, I am surprised that you endorsed Obama who has in no manner, way, shape or form shown himself to be pro choice. He has shown himself to be dodgey with his "present" votes in the Illinois senate on the issue and changeable with his comments on parental notification. But so far there is nothing about him that says definitively- "I believe women should have the full rights to their own bodies that men have". Quite the opposite actually.

I applied to be one of you summer canvassers. Please tear up and or burn my resume. I will instead give my time and my money to PATH or Planned Parenthood or hell I'll just stand on the streets and hand out free condoms, but I will not support an organization for choice that supports candidates who want to restrict my right to choose.

Sincerely,

RQ

No comments: