Monday, April 17, 2006

Single Sex Classrooms?

According to this article in the Tampa Tribune, some public schools are placing boys and girls in separate classrooms.
Advocates belief single-sex classrooms help teachers to meet the needs of each more effectively because of differences in brain development and learning styles between boys and girls, or because boys and girls distract each other.
Opponents think that differences in boys' and girls' brains are overstated, and that separating the sexes amounts to discrimination.


Here's another article from Newsweek, this one's a little older.

I admit I haven't done my homework (pardon the pun) on this one... This is one where I think the "truth" may be somewhere in the middle, but I won't venture more of an opinion than that at the moment.

I would like to know if anyone out there has facts, opinions, experiences?

1 comment:

The Red Queen said...

What I've read is that single sex is better for girls (they get a chance to be heard instead of ignored for noisy, attention whoring boys) but it's bad for boys because the girls actually provide a calming influence. Without girls, boys don't learn to behave politely.

Now I have no idea if this is really true, but I wouldn't put the Kid in a single sex classroom- he'd be run over by the other boys.